Exodus 20:1 And God spoke all these words
Cameron Mills, a one time UK Basketball player, came an spoke at a church service the other week.
As Cameron shared that he has seen his ups in life, he has also seen his downs. He like many of us have been long time believers in Jesus and have been living as a follower. But………. even followers struggle.
Cameron went through the ten commandments 1 by 1 with examples for each of how his sin was real. And it challenged me to do the same. So here goes…..
The 10 Commandments List Exodus 20 (click here to read from the bible)
- You shall have no other gods before Me. – Have I ever put another human in the place of God in my life? Yes
- You shall not make idols. – Have I ever dreamed and sought out material things more than I sought out a relationship with Him? Yes
- You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain. – This varies according to who yo talk to but have I ever used Jesus, God or Lord in a statement that was not up lifting to the person hearing it? Yes
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. – Do I take time off to just be with Him? No other distraction for a whole day? No, I will take 30 min or a few hours but never have I devoted a full day of simple holy thought.
- Honor your father and your mother. – It would be fantastic if everyone had the “Mr. & Mrs. Clever” parent but Not everyone has a mother & father that in the human standards deserve “honor” but we must always remember that they are no different than we are, sinners and in their sin, we can still honor them. So have I always honored my father and my mother? No
- You shall not murder.– In the true sense of the word, I have never committed murder but there has most likely been times when I have murdered someone’s reputation with slanderous words. So murder of the physical sense , No but murder of the internal sense , Yes.
- You shall not commit adultery. –You know that your don’t actually have to take the steps of a physical relationship with someone to commit adultery, solely by lusting or considering it in the mind is enough. So have I ever considered it? Yes
- You shall not steal. – Have I ever? Yes
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. – The little “white” lies as we like to call them. Or sharing information that we haven’t verified to be Truth. We Spoke as if something was fact when we know it’s not. Regretfully, Yes
- You shall not covet. – Am I content, Yes but do I sometimes wish for the thing that someone else my have ? Yes
So, there you go 0-10, some may have been years ago and some may have been as recent as yesterday.
But still saved by Grace! God’s perfect redeeming Grace!
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Lord I’m grateful because I know that even though here on earth I may be 0-10, with You I’m shooting 100%. I’m thankful for your unending forgiveness and that love you have for me keeps me coming back to You. Please Lord be with those who feel that they can never measure up. Let them know that as long as they are seeking you with all their heart, they can leave it all to you. Amen!